Sunday, March 23, 2014

Seaweed pizza and Other Interesting Things

Cuckoo Update 03/20/13



So yeah, we had pizza the other day, where I'm currently interning, and um, it all sounds like fun and games until you realize that this is Beijing...and pizza is not really a Beijing food...

But to be honest, this pizza was pretty good...despite the fact that I couldn't figure out whether the pizza on the bottom right corner in the picture above really was seaweed pizza...

And that pizza on the left side that's all green? The topping actually came in a plastic toppings bag...like your ramen noodle flavoring pack, but bigger. But in general, the pizza was good


look at this baby...so good looking...
But I do have to say, seaweed pizza isn't the only odd thing that I've encountered here.

One of these odd foods that I've encountered, for the longest time, made me feel like a beer-bellied old man going through midlife crisis: 


BEHOLD MY FRIENDS: FAKE BEER AND FAKE PRINGLEs.

Now let me explain myself. Now NAD-Life has a history of non-alcoholism, as we are called "NON-alcoholic drunk life," so why in the world are we talking about beer?

BECAUSE IT IS NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER THAT TASTES LIKE BREAD.

That's right folks, this is a mysterious carbonated drink that my dad and I like to call bread soda. It is also the ever so famous Russian drink Kvass (you might remember it from Russian Classics such as the The Brothers Karamazov, The Death of Ivan Illych, Anna Karenina, etc.) that is fermented bread soda. Yes, it is similar to beer, but it has little to nearly no alcohol content, thus classified as Non-Alcoholic. Legit stuff. Tastes like sugary bread in liquid form.

But of course, that's not all of my food adventures. My dad's friend from Europe came over to Beijing on a business trip, and in this case, I was pleased to face this:


ALL. DELICIOUS. BEAUTIFUL. EUROPEAN. CHOCOLATE. FROM. FREAKING. EUROPE.

Yup. I'm obsessed with this stuff, and it's beautiful, gorgeous, and it probably won't last long.

I have to say though, that I've been hoarding more than just chocolates...

Aren't they beautiful?!?!!?
I GOT A GIGANTIC BOX OF CHINESE PASTRIES. Maybe some of you who know a bit about Beijing would have heard of 稻香村 pastries, because they're just amazing...except really, too much is too much, there's no way that I'd be able to eat all of these by myself, and I have no one to share them witttthhhh......

TT . TT

Kidding. I asked ppl if they want some, but they were all like "NO! YOU'RE FRIEND GAVE YOU THIS AND IT'S THE BEST PASTRY IN BEIJING WE WOULDN'T DARE..."

Oh people...never did understand them. The pastries are delicious though.

~Cuckoo Clock

No comments:

Post a Comment